Thursday, November 10, 2011

Parable of the 10 Virgins and their Oil Lamps



Last week, the Gospel was Matthew 25, the parable of the ten virgins and their oil lamps.  I stumbled over the part where the others asked for some oil and the response was "no! then we may not have enough for our own."  That always bothered me for some reason--so I asked the Lord about it. " We are called to share whatever we have, and to trust You for whatever we need...so why does this verse seems selfish?  You would not have us to be selfish and self-centered...so Lord what is it that I am not getting here? "

Ask and you shall receive, as always, He is gracious to help me understand.  He brought to mind in Ezekiel 18, where the LORD explains that "when a soul sins it shall die..but if the wicked turns from all his sins ...keep the law...and do what is lawful and right...he shall surely live and not die".  I understood it to mean--each soul is responsible for itself.  There are many Graces given to us to aid us, teach us, and keep us in God's Favor...but in the end...each soul bears the responsibillity for its outcome at Judgment time.  God gives us many instances in our lives, many people (some may be angels) the Holy Scriptures, The Sacraments, the Church, Sacramentals, prayers, all to lead us to Him and His Mercy--yet if we fail to follow, to heed His Word, to seek Him..we risk being set apart as having never known Him.

I explained this on the way home to my teen sons.  I can do my best to teach them, to live the example, to take them to Mass, to pray and read the Bible...but in the end...they are responsible for the condition of their own souls.  I cannot save them.  I can only do so much.  I cannot take the "Oil of Gladness" out of my own soul and give it to them.  Only the Holy Spirit can fill them.

2 comments:

  1. That is a good point, but that still does not mean that we aren't supposed to share, care, love, and give. I believe we have to take care of us, but not giving out of selfish motives is still wrong. I think you still need to give where God leads you to give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt mean we were not to give and to be selfish at all...but this particular presents itself for us to understand that we are to do what is required to get to Heaven. When the time comes, we either are ready or we are not...others cannot save us.

    ReplyDelete